What if your investment in your child, today, could be worth as much as $30 Billion in just a few years? In 1995, Jeff Bezos’ parents, Jackie and Mike Bezos invested $245,573 in Amazon. Now, Bloomberg estimates their investment could be worth as much as $30 Billion.
When Jeff Bezos was launching Amazon he went to his mother and stepfather for financial support. He warned them that there was a 70% chance that they would never see their investment again. Despite the risk, Jackie and Mike Bezos still invested more than $245,000 into their son’s venture. Now, as Amazon is on target to becoming the first $1 Trillion company, Bezos’ parents will also become two of the richest people in the world.
Their son is worth about $147 Billion.
How much could your child be worth with more investments from you? Sure, you may not have an extra $245,000 in the bank, but there are a lot of ways you can invest in your child.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Encourage Creativity – Sometimes being creative means letting them mix up toys, make messes, and not follow obvious rules. Relax and allow this. Creativity is a part of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Give them free time – Kids need a schedule, but they also need blocks of free time. During this free time, allow them to discover things that interest them, let their imagination run wild, and not have to hurry to the next thing.
- Join in with their fun – Sometimes playing takes work for adults. We have so many responsibilities that keep us from being present when playing with children, but they need us to join in on the fun on their terms and in real-time. Try not to become distracted or impatient, instead be whatever their imagination needs you to be.
- Invest in yourself – Give yourself space to dream and time off. Your appreciation of your family will often increase when you have had time to decompress and reflect. Don’t wait until your children are in college to invest in yourself, or spend time on you, make time for it now. You will be a better parent, and you will be able to love so much more from a space of appreciation and personal satisfaction.
- Speak positive words of affirmation – it’s easy to let stress and the frustrations of parenting get the best of you. Even when things get extremely challenging, try to always speak a good balance of positive affirmations to your child – even when you think they can’t hear you.