Who is Generation Z
- Born between 1995 – 2012
- Entered college between 2013-14 and today
- Gen Z: The Phigital Student
- Universities don’t meet the expectations of Gen Z Students
- One-third of students feel student administration systems do not meet their expectations.
- Study found that 7 in 10 students would recommend that their universities review and change its digital strategy.
- 49% of students reported taking fewer courses per semester and 45% reported not registering for a course because of the high cost of textbooks.
- 64% of students opted out of buying textbooks for the first day of class
- Students are choosing not to study business and computer science because of the cost of textbooks.
Gen Z students tend to thrive when they are given the opportunity to have a fully immersive educational experience and they even enjoy the challenges of being a part of it.
51% of surveyed students said they learn best by doing while only 12% said they learn through listening.
Teaching Strategies for Gen Z?
- Think Digital in all assignments, assessments, activities
- Break content into short segments
- Make information graphical and bite size
- Rethink how you communicate
- Be relevant. Respect the time of the Gen Z student
- Provide individualized instruction – think adaptive learning
- Use Social Media approaches to learning
- Set up students for a career
- Provide access to resources to help eliminate student loan debt
- Acknowledge that this generation sees themselves as Smart, Creative, and Hardworking